Sunday, February 17, 2008

Injury Log #1: Premiere Edition


starting this week i'm going to keep a log of the previous week's injuries. the reason for this is twofold.

1. do i really injure myself as often as it seems?
2. is there method in the injuty-inflicting madness?

right now i am typing normal style with my left hand and hunt-n-peck style with my right hand. why? well, on friday night, after having had several drinks, and perhaps moving too fast, i was reaching into something to retrieve something else. i cannot recall what i was doing or where i was. but i slammed my hand down into this object and the edge of my fingernail on my right hand hit the edge of this object with such force as to bend the fingernail back almost all the way to the base of the nail. blood surged underneath the injury filling it quickly and eventually spilling out all sides of the fingernail. i stared at it and thought about how grateful i was to be full of anesthesizing liquor, then flushed it with water. the blood tried to find it's way out again, but i just let it dry along the edges of the nail, quickly creating a dam. now it's been two days and besides constant throbbing and a slight swelling, it appears the nail is starting to rise up from the finger, presumably to eventually fall off competely. there are like, white air pockets underneath the nail as well as purple splotches. i cried out this morning when i jammed it into a pile of clothing, and was filled with the sickening feeling of being separated from another body part.

my nail is working it's way off my body.

this morning i slammed my middle right toe into the vacuum cleaner, tearing skin off, and a bit of toenail. it hurt so bad, it didn't hurt at first. there was some bleeding in the numb area.

two weekends ago i walked into an open drawer with my bare legs inflicting a small hematoma on my thigh and a deep purpling underneath. two days later i fell down the front steps ass first. i was bending over to pick some old, rotting pumpkins up off the deck/stairs, which were super slick from a week of rain and moss growth. when i came back up from bending over, my feet slid out from under me and i slammed straight down on my upper left buttock, then to my right, then down four or five stairs in that position. when i hit bottom, the momentum slammed my body forward onto the bricks, where i caught myself hard on my hands to finally land in a forced on-all-fours position.

my ass developed a severe bruise with purpling and hard yellow splotches. there were scattered small bruises on my thighs. for three days afterward, i was in extreme muscular pain like i had just fallen down a black diamond ski run. shoulders, upper arms, forearms, left leg, butt.

that's all i can recall for log #1.

No comments: