Tuesday, February 16, 2010

New York (Japanese) State of Mind - Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band LIVE! TONIGHT! SOLD OUT!



Someday, when I have money, I will never miss the annual All Tomorrow's Parties festival held in Tokyo* and usually featuring Sonic Youth. One year Sonic Youth curated it. Ouch! And I say that with love.

Tonight, however, is a warm-up rehearsal for The Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band in NYC for their impending tour. The current Ono Band is Yoko and Sean, Yuka Honda from Cibo Matto and Cornelius from Cornelius, that crazy-cool guy. Special Guest? Yes? SONIC YOUTH. Yes? SONIC YOUTH and those crazy Japanese. All at once.

DAMN. Not a show this lady wants to miss. So I say to myself, someday, when I have money, I will fly to New York or New Orleans or Chicago or wherever I have to go to see such shows.

I think the new Ono Band is going to be INSANE live. Will see them next week in Oakland.
Better pick up the new record, and prepare.

Cheers to the nearly-80 Yoko. Cheers, Yoko!!



*upon further inspection, I've found this festival takes place in locales other than Tokyo, but that would be the one, oh yeah.

1 comment:

Alien said...

From Stereogum:
"Kim and Thurston scraped guitars and bent guitar necks on the noise piece "Mulberry." Gene Ween and Sean duetted memorably on the quintessential turn-on "Oh Yoko." Drag queen Kiki aka Justin Bond (last seen at Doveman's release party) tapped the humor in "What A Bastard The World Is"; Doveman himself joined the proceedings for Bette Midler's effortlessly charismatic razzle dazzle cabaret arrangement of "Yes, I'm Your Angel." Bette was somewhat of a WTF punchline in emails between friends before this show; afterward all I wanted to do was rent Beaches. Either that or go deep into a Clapton excavation session. Eric joined the battery -- along with other original Plastic Ono Band member, bassist Klaus Voormann -- lacing creamy fretwork all over Yes I'm A Witch's "Death Of Samantha," muscling up "Yer Blues," stamping "Don't Worry Kyoko." Dude knows. As Paul Simon harmonized during his first performance with son Harper as a guitar duet, on "Silverhorse" and "Hold On," you couldn't help pause for thought: This was a serious show."

Wow.

http://stereogum.com/archives/photo/we_are_plastic_ono_band_feat_eric_clapton_paul_sim_114961.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+stereogum%2FcBYa+%28stereogum%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo