Monday, July 29, 2013

WWHD

     "I have a theory that the truth is never told
           during the nine-to-five hours."

I've been battling an incompetent higher-up for months now and the battle just came to a head. Not using correct grammar has won out. Not using meaningful words and not being concerned about readability won. Even vocabulary lost, making way for using words that don't mean what we say they mean (like complimentary vs. complementary, because, "no one knows what they mean anyway, and it doesn't really matter.")

Maybe I truly am not meant – with all my wanting to be grammatically correct and meaningful – to be in "advertising."

So what did I do after a terrifying showdown in which I was told a story of a woman who was fired for pushing hyphen use too hard, "Don't let what happened to the hyphen queen happen to you" ??
 
For this sweep of absurdity, and disrespect for words, I did the only thing I could do: I turned to Hunter S. Thompson.

For 7 hours I listened to him mumble words of wisdom and sensibility. And it worked. I got my head back on straight.

No comments: