Thursday, October 10, 2013

Prophecy





When I was little, all of the littles from teeny to tall, my grandmama and mom were always losing a contact lense. Oops, stop everything, a contact is on the floor. And I always found it, and Grandmama would say, "You have such sharp eyes, Lou!" She said it every time, and sometimes, "Miss Lou, will you help me with your sharp eyes."

It made me feel like I had a special talent. So I would look extra hard, always, to be sure I found it.

I'm sitting here at work, now, finding spelling errors in 4pt type, thinking, I have such sharp eyes.

And I don't, in fact I need new glasses, but there's that part of me that still cheers Me on, "you have sharp eyes, you're awesome!"

And I still work really hard to find things, in fact, my work is all about finding tiny little problems using my sharp eyes.

I've come to realize I can build the same kind of confidence in my daughter, in whatever way I want. So, I tell her all the time how nice she is. I'm hoping she always strives to be nice. Soon I'll do a variation on it, "Rx, you have such a kind heart...you make people feel happy with your kind heart."



No comments: