Wednesday, June 20, 2007

ferry folk



so, today my encounter with another (becoming a trend) rude marinite man on the ferry:
Stand next to table with two inside seats available and motion towards man to let me slip in and say May i please slip in here? he's facing towards the front of the boat and i would prefer that spot. he ignores me, the woman looks up, says No problem, she thinks i've spoken to her, i say OH, ok, either one, Thank you! and slip in. DICK. sit down, take ride. at end of ride lady is gone, waiting upstairs at the exit and it's just man and me. we get up at the same time, i reach for my empty coffee cup and my hand hits it in such a way that it flips in the air a few times and flies over to his side of the table. i laugh spontaneously and say Whoops! sorry! god! and grab it. i'm all smiles and laughter and he doesn't even glance at me. he doesn't look up or acknowledge me in any way. unbelieveable. i know this behavior from Elitist Small Northern California Town. it's called snobby. it's called Afraid to Show Emotion, Reaction or Recognition Because that's not Cool.

crazy! glad i'm not 13 anymore. at 13, that behavior was something i took to mean there was something incredibly repulsive about me. now i feel sorry for these people. unfortunately they have been in environments that have forced this distancing behavior on them. sad, not intimidating. and you know what? LAME for not realizing it by the age of 35.

the marinite man no doubt doesn't get laid, go see live music or laugh. ever.

No comments: