Thursday, December 06, 2007

Love thy neighbor



i love my neighbor. this is good, because our houses are very close and her and her husband's living room backs up very close to our bedroom and looks down into our yard. we talk over the fence whenever we hear each other's voice. i feel like i'm in mr. rogers' neighborhood or something. or sesame street. it's so not the City, which is so what we wanted when we moved here.

my neighbor checks on me and gives me encouragement over this unemployed thing (as she did over the wedding thing too). i ask her regularly how her husband is doing. he is a great musician who's battling cancer. when we get to hear him play from over the fence, it feels like a privilege. he is beating his throat cancer, and bravely, with chemo of course, but also some kind of voodoo hippie shit where "doctors" come over and shake their hands over him. why not the whole gamut? she says some of the techniques are pretty weird but, "oh whatever. we'll keep doing it all because it's working."

she's forward and generous and sincere and i think i have a new friend. she just called me on my video phone to say she's checking all her sources for work for me.

the world is feeling warm again.

No comments: