Thursday, December 06, 2007

Remembering Dr. Bolivar

just thinking about Dr. Bolivar, my cats' city vet, today. maybe because it's raining, and i'm broke, much like most of those city years. (or because it's almost a year since syd died).

dr. bolivar was an angel. not sure of his exact latino heritage. he was a small, but solid man with huge brown eyes that spilled compassion with every blink. we never even really had to speak. i have never believed in shots for my cats, so i've almost never had to call the vet on them. i think dr. bolivar might have fixed some problem of syd's but his stand-out visits were those when i had to call him for euthanasia. twice. each time it was, "my cat is very ill, i think he needs to be put down" and doctor bolivar would say, "i'll be right there." then he'd show up and look at my cat, and feel his heart and say, "you are right. this cat is dying." and then, while my cat laid in my lap, he'd give the valium shot and then the death shot without saying a word. he would look at me with sad eyes and gently take my cat from me and put him or her in a towel, give me a hug and take them away. i would write a check and then we'd nod at each other as i wailed out tears and closed the door.

i marvel at the strength that must take on his part.

i give thanks for dr. bolivar today.

No comments: