Friday, January 10, 2014

He is her





Lucky us, Spike Jonze is writing about writing her. And other people are creating cool things about it. And he's curating all this right here. It's a gallery of Her.

In the movie, there is a scene that took my breath away. I made a sound, so did Guy. It's when we first see Theodore's front shirt pocket with the safety pin holding the phone up. I don't know what to call the emotion that it made me feel, or what...I don't know what to call what it is that made me feel whatever I felt. But I felt it, felt it so much.

Her is a movie that words cannot explain.


There's a sex scene that is completely original and unlike any I have ever seen. That anyone I know has ever seen. There are two things about it. One, it's incredibly unbearably sexy yet shows no skin, and at times, you see only a black screen. But it's so powerful. The second thing about it is it made me cry, cry tears I've not had before. Sex scene tears. Tender tears from understanding that Spike went somewhere...delicate...to find a way to capture that thing, to find access to an experience of such depth, to materialize how it feels to him, to separate his hand from the pen, from the pad, to separate his self-consciousness from his memory. It's a true moment, a real moment of  what happens when the artist disappears and the art exists alone. Not pretentious. Just actual. It was overwhelming. I cried. It was wonderful.

I look at Spike's face and I get a feeling like he's one of those breath strips. Like, if I put him on my tongue, he'd disappear in seconds.



No comments: