Thursday, January 02, 2014

Keener movie


I saw a Keener movie last night. She's my favorite, she's the only runner-up to Keaton out there.

She played a character who wants to help people, she gives five bucks to dudes on the corner, $20 to some, she hands over food after dinner out, she wants to help and she looks for it. She tries two different volunteer jobs but they make her so sad, she can't do them, she runs out of them. I can feel her tenderness, I know those hot tears that come quickly, I know the feeling like there's too much pain, even if the subject you're trying to help isn't in pain. She thinks the world should be kinder, she believes she is one person who can make a difference.

And so do I. And that's what I'm doing now, but I didn't run out in pain at my last effort. I smiled the whole way through it. Maybe I found what the Keener character was looking for. I have become that character, that aware only in the last year.

At one point she suspects her husband's behavior is odd and it is because he's cheating on her, even though he loves her and that's clear in their scenes. That's real. But she gets the feeling, and she lets it go. Her glance is just long enough to tell you she sees it, but…shit, it just isn't that important anymore. Who cares. It really doesn't matter. She isn't going to start asking questions because the answers are a problem she has no time for. They would make her someone who needs help. Without knowing for sure of his dishonesty, she leaves herself strong enough to help those who really need it.

No comments: