Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My response to the Botoxed drill sergeant

Julie,
First, I wish to tell you why it has taken so long to express what I have to tell you: I do not wish to work for you.

On this past Sunday my dad died suddenly. If not for that, I would have written you earlier to tell you that I continue to feel passion for writing for xxx Cosmetics, and feel that I am perfectly fit for such a copywriter position. However, I am apprehensive to to be a part of a company that requests I open and reveal the contents of my personal cosmetics bag as a measure of my qualifications. Everyone to whom i have recalled this story has been appalled as well. You might reconsider that part of the interviewing process.

I write effective copy for menswear for xxx and xxx, but I can guarantee you I do not wear men's clothes.

I do wish to thank you for your time, and for (assistant girl's) time in reviewing, finding interest in, and interviewing me for the position of copywriter. You almost had a loyal, hardworking and talented writer on staff.

My best to you, and xx,
Lou Jones

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. You did send it??

RobRoy said...

About six months ago I received a job offer for less that I currently was making. In the interview they had specifically asked what salary range I was seeking, then they wondered why I felt insulted by their offer. They then offered a higher amount, and then retracted the offer altogether, saying they had found someone better than me. Not that there aren't better employees than me, but in my mind "better" meant "less expensive". I wished them the best of luck and thanked them for showing me exactly what kind of company they were.