Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Meeting John Waters


a favorite painting* of mine of my old friend D. I have a special memory with D. he took me to meet JW one lucky day in December of 2003.

it was right after work on a rainy evening when i got a call from D. saying, "wanna meet john waters and go to a cocktail party with me? My boss gave me tickets!" DO I?! without question!!

we met up at the castro theatre a half hour later. there was to be a cocktail party with food and then a meet-n-greet with john, followed by a spoken word performance by john. we stood in line and waited. at the last minute, D. took off his shirt. and boy, is he gorgeous. a swimmer. and tall. john's bodyguard saw us coming. i was at my thinnest and cutest but i might as well have been invisible when the bodyguard called out to john, "Flesh! Incoming flesh!" we stood by john as his eyes followed D. to a position next to him. clearly john was moved. nice. next we handed him a VCR tape of a movie we worked on together. it had gotten a small release in the states and was of exactly the type of bad-taste and humor we knew john would love. and he did! we told him we thought he might like this movie we're in and handed it to him. upon reading the title his reaction was immediate: "Oh! I already have it! My agent gave it to me in Chicago last weekend!"

and then we were shuttled away. our hearts were pounding in our heads. this was truly unbelievable news!! we raced back upstairs to the cocktail party to call the filmmakers and tell them. their heads exploded and their hearts fell to their feet. it was very fun. and john is hysterical and non-stop entertaining. i could listen to him for hours. actually you can listen to him a little bit here.

*this is an example of stopping at just the right time. i had a friend help me with that. otherwise this thing would be covered head to toe in color. and would suck.

minimalism is difficult.

2 comments:

Elbo said...

I sold him broccoli. Twice.

Anonymous said...

that's right. were you a cashier or a bagger?