Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Shut your boca!


my friend EC recently introduced me to the photographic method, Bokeh. coined by the japanese, it's about focus in photography. primarily with a soft edge. i love this word. although for me my mind goes directly to the spanish word for "mouth,"

"boca."

i was told, as a child, to "shut" my "boca" on many an occasion.

my step-dad's family speaks a lot of spanish because they own a vineyard and vineyard workers are typically of latin descent (and of grandchild descent, no kidding), as well as maids. plus they traveled a lot to Spain, Mexico and South America because my step-grandfather was a pilot for Pan Am.

"leche" "agua" "zapatos" and "pantalones" were spoken of frequently as well. not nearly enough "chocolaté," however.

in contrast, in the deep south the maids were black. i did not learn new words from Mary Lee who took care of me, but she was sweet as pie. my grandparents hired her for help with housework and taking care of me when i was a toddler; they both worked and my mom was back in school after leaving my dad. i have fond and very clear memories of Mary Lee*. but i can't remember the name of the latina maid in california who came into my life later. only her words. interesting.

*one day my mom and i drove her home. how i remember this at age an age under 2 is because it was a strong emotional memory. she lived in a shotgun shack in natchez, mississippi; across the river from my grandparent's house in Louisiana. i was stared at by all the little boys playing in the tiny alley-way that lined the fronts of the tiny houses. it was so new for me. strange. in 1972, blacks and whites were still somwhat segregated in the rural parts of the deep south. i don't think Mary Lee liked us having to drive her home. I think she preferred her privacy. i say this only from the image in my head of her shutting the car door, walking the steps to the front door of her home and turning around and waving...in a sad? way, in a nervous? way in an uncomfortable? way, in a waving away? way. and then my mom waving and driving away quickly. i guess that might be my very very first memory.


thanks, EC for bringing some deep deep memories back. xo

No comments: