Thursday, October 13, 2011

"Oh. Steve Jobs died."




















My heart hurt just a little bit when I heard that Steve Jobs had died. It was 2pm in the afternoon, the day of, October 5. He couldn't have even been that dead by the time the news reached us in downtown San Francisco. My co-worker, a guy, made a soft sound like, "Oh." The sound was soft and quick and got my attention. I held my breath..."Steve Jobs just died." My response was immediate. Eyebrows up, surprised. Heart hurt in a tiny corner spot, pain.

I didn't cry like I did when the world lost Jim Carroll or Jerry Garcia. But there was pain in my heart like there is when someone who makes the world a better place just...disappears.

I loved Steve's emphasis on presentation and design. I love that he put form right next to function, if not just a little on top. This is the idea of an artist, and artists do not usually hold the kind of power necessary to put form a little bit on top of function. But he did it. And now he's gone...

When Andy Warhol died, his magazine, Interview, was immediately changed for the worst. Gone were the beautiful oil pastel portraits of the cover subject by Richard Bernstein. Gone was the oversized tabloid format. In came "regular format" and photography on the cover. So far from the vision of the artist, another one who had great power, another one who made what looks good more important than what works right.

It's so admirable.

I hope something similar doesn't happen in this situation.

Bye, Steve Jobs. It just seemed too early for you to move on...

No comments: