Thursday, December 22, 2011

5 times when my mom was way cool

1. Taking me out of school to go see Duran Duran play the Oakland Coliseum on April 13, 1984. It was my first concert and it changed my molecular structure towards a deeper music/art bent. THANKS MOM!

2. Taking me to little indie record stores that still existed in 1986 whenever we came to the city for a doctor's appointment. I now own several very rare Duran Duran books. Some from Japan. THANKS MOM!

3. When I had my first poetry reading at age 14 (1984), she stayed up all night making me an outfit of my choosing when I had a meltdown about what I was going to wear at the last minute. She made me a drop-waist sleeveless dress with a shirt that went underneath. THANKS MOM!

4. Every time she has secretly sent me money because Dad does not approve of monetary support of his children. THANKS MOM!

5. When Mom took us on cross-country road trips even though Dad had no desire to do it. Those were such great times. Staying up all night with her, driving in the middle of nowhere, having great talks, seeing the country! THANKS MOM!!!!!


thanks to my mom for these things. it's not mother's day, but moms deserve to hear about the times they didn't screw up any day of the year.

No comments: