Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Identified

I lost my name when I was two years old.

My mom had divorced my dad due to his excessive and unrelenting party lifestyle, and married a man who couldn't be more opposite. This man, in a sweeping show of generosity—what I've been led to believe—asked my dad if he could adopt me so that he and my mom could construct a solid family unit sporting the same last name. My mom thought this would "fix" the fact that I would be different from the future family. What she failed to realize is that nothing could change the fact that I would be different from the future family. She only succeeded in offering me the knowledge that my dad was able to "give me up". She very effectively eliminated a non-problem and replaced it with a hugely painful problem.

And then I actually started to grow up and actually became a person very much like my dad, which made me the opposite of the future family in every way imaginable. But hey, I had the same last name so it was all ok.

When I got to college my dad and I began to build a relationship. He was partying less, and I was partying more, but nothing could erase the fact that we were very alike and had a lot of catching up to do. I did not fault him for "giving me up." Who could think straight with that kind of blood-alcohol level? No, I appreciated finally knowing that I came from someone on Earth. That I was not dropped out of the sky by an alien race. Knowing my dad meant accepting myself. No one else in the family did. I was a grade-A weirdo; a social artist raised in a family of anti-social personalities; a writer and a friend in a house of friendless, wordless people.

Today is a great day. Not because I finally have the family I always needed. No, they remain the same and will die the way they are. Today I reversed that mistake my mom made taking my identity away and pretending nothing bad ever happend.

Today I chose my own name and it's not theirs anymore. I shed the rough, uneven skin that was placed on my face at age two. 40 years later, I am me again. The name I have is not the one I was born with, but the one my daughter has.

I have my own family now and they're just as weird as me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, your mom was shamed by her religion for divorcing Party Dad. Having his last name reminded her of her shame and made her embarrassed to enroll you in school.
--Future You (2019)

Anonymous said...

ps. Future Family rejects you more now than they ever have. That's right, it gets worse.

Anonymous said...

pps. In 2019, you still have a daughter, but not a family anymore.