Monday, September 25, 2006

Fashion Whore




fashion. it's so fucking silly. i'm sitting here, at work, working as much as i can during my lunch hour writing a sample for my possible new job. the test is comprised of two parts: one naming new products and writing little descriptions about them, the other is writing copy that will support an "overarching theme" for a collection that will be shown in a store.

this is what my overarching theme is:

(BR) Fall – Qualitative Sophistication

Quality = Comfort = Confidence.

Masterfully crafted, these key fall pieces enlighten your form, giving you a look of expertise and command. Simple and strong, four new items are all you need to disclose an effortless, sophisticated air.

Compose your look with fine wool and cashmere separates but contrast with simpler pieces. Pair the wool flannel cargo pant with a relaxed cotton crew or the flannel, chalk-stripe pant with the cashmere, shawl-collared sweater...


it's funny stuff. i love the challenge of figuring out how to say something in a new way, as well as psychologically understanding the people who shop at BR and what they'd want from their clothes...but there's something embarrassing about it...

my friend (e) said, "those people are going to have a hard time during the revolution" and that keeps coming up in my mind.

i wouldn't be embarrassed to say this is my job. i'm embarrassed at how easy bullshit comes to me. i think. i'm not sure. this is a new arena. a new experience. i'm sure other advertising people feel this way. one of my favorite writers, an ex-advertising copywriter, augusten burroughs, who gave me the idea to try copywriting in the first place, said something like "saying the word 'advertising' makes me want to vomit, it's so dirty."

i think i get it now. huh.

i'm just going to have to laugh at myself a lot.

which is better than crying.

1 comment:

lou jones said...

what i wrote for that test is horrible. it's ho-able. i can't believe i got the job. they must have been laughing! i'm probably the only person who spelled everything write. (ha). how funny to see it so clearly a few years later.