Thursday, August 23, 2007

Wonder Woman



it all started with what to wear. the night before an interview i get really heartburn-y and frantic about outfit and personal presentation. fortunately with writing, unlike with design, i don't have to remake my portfolio everytime. maybe that's because what's in there is all i got. ha ha.

so, what to wear to an interview with a creative agency that can place me in some cool companies that can totally make my life easier with lots of good pay? hmmm. it's pretty great that agencies exist. they work their butts off to find artists' jobs. for this, they take almost half the pay, but it's worth it when you're scared of meeting bill deadlines and rent.

for some unknown reason, my instinct told me i needed to look sort of fashionista-like and pretty hip. the black t-shirt dress, long necklace W. made me, and short black boots felt right. only problem is, i wore that, like a week ago. i can't wear that to work again. it's too memorable, people commented etc. so i hatch a plan to wear the black t-shirt dress, but in two ways. for this, i drove today. also, fyi, this interview was at 10am, is a 10-minute walk away from my jobbie, and i didn't arrive at work until 9:20.

it went like this: drive into garage, park. get out in black t-shirt dress with belt around waist, short black socks, red plaid high-top sneakers, long red neckace and red leather cuff bracelet. it's a little rock-n-roll, it's definitely casual and looks significantly different than the styling of fashionista t-shirt dress w/ boots. get in elevator, make appearance at work, check an email or two, leave cell phone and sunglasses on desk to indicate i am around, run back down to garage (also where portfolio is stashed). get in car, take off belt, change plaid sneaks into short black leather boots, take off red leather cuff bracelet and red necklace, put on long W. necklace, grab portfolio and purse and walk very quickly to interview.

have great interview. agent has purple hair and a long metal spike through her nose. she's intelligent and no-bullshit. she laughs uproariously at my rock-n-roll journalism stories of meeting rock stars and getting in fights with them. she likes me. this spurs me on and turns on my inner "animated" button. my stories get funnier and funnier. fantastic. she's gonna find me a great job and i won't go penniless at all. probably.

leave interview, walk quickly back to car in garage, noticing that it's been 50 minutes since i left. get in car, change out of leather boots, into plaid sneaks, take off long W. necklace, put on long red necklace, grab red leather cuff bracelet, belt the t-shirt dress, jump out, get in elevator, get to desk. no one notices me walk in, and probably didn't notice my absence. i am flush with a feeling of exhilaration over what i pulled off (and on) in one hour.

mission, made even more impossible than it needed to be, accomplished.
phew.

No comments: