Thursday, January 08, 2009

Happy post



the other day my friend K. asked me perhaps one of the most profound questions i can remember ever being asked.

she said, "Lou. Last night as i was falling asleep i found myself wondering something about you.

i thought about how intensely you feel anger.
about how intensely you feel empathy.
about how intensely you feel sadness.
but, do you ever feel happiness intensely?"

her question threw me. i was frozen. i could think of nothing that matches my rage or sadness or empathy. then i remembered. YES. YES.

i am intensely happy when i am at a concert hearing live music that i love. that is the most INTENSELY happy that i get. and it is HUGE.

is that a sad thing? should i feel it more?

my shrink said there are other layers like joy and love...and i told him, yeah, well, but that's not INTENSELY.

oh wait...i loved my grandparents intensely. i love my mom intensely. when i look at my nephew i love him intensely. when guy and i are in our groove i love him intensely. i think of our wedding day and how intensely i loved him that day and it's almost too much. just like the others...

"Intensely."

to me it's when atoms smash together and create an explosion that is so huge nothing else exists in that moment. so huge that it's not even a thought, because it's bigger than your brain.

this is how i feel empathy
and anger
and sadness most of the time.

and happiness sometimes.

you?


(picture above is taken by my friend KD at the butthole surfers show i missed while in mexico. it is a picture of how my brain feels when i'm intensely happy, of a band that while playing live makes me intensely happy.)

2 comments:

aldahl said...

Hi Lou. I feel like i experience these things in "phases," like, I'll feel intensely happy for 2 weeks, or a month. And always after those phases I'll experience some kind of sadness phase. Sometimes I think I might be bipolar. wah wahhhh.

lou jones said...

so does gibby haynes:

My stomach hurts so bad I could die
I'm moving into a neighborhood I can't stand
The sky is changing color
There's a metallic taste in my mouth
It's been a great winter
Everything went south

Shit like that, shit like that
Shit like that, shit like that

They cut me off at the clinic
I had to find another doctor
I found him in the yellow pages
Maybe I'm bi-polar

Shit like that, shit like that
Shit like that, shit like that

The sky is changing color
There's a metallic taste in my mouth
It's been a great fucking winter
Everything went south

Shit like that, shit like that
Shit like that, shit like that