Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Introducing...

Her big, almond shaped green eyes focused and stared as she looked up at me from her position on the kitty-shelf at the spca. One of the volunteers was rubbing her belly and she flipped over half-way on her back and gave me a once-over. I looked at guy. He looked at me. I looked back at her. Suddenly i was biting my lip, trying to hold on to my "shit." Huge tears filled my eyes and i felt that lump start to move up my throat. I had to keep it in, but the emotion was huge.

I tell guy, this is the one. He looks at me. He is worried, as we have only seen a handful of cats out of the 75 that are there. He might be thinking i only love her because she looks so much like syd. Like syd has been reborn.

He tells me this with a look. I look back at her and i see the intelligence and the love and i know that she's the one i want.

Of course, she's not syd, and she's got her own cute thing going on. She's got her own endearing traits to learn about, and her own annoying habits we'll have to deal with. It's been two days since we got her, and i'm already seeing her in her own way, and less like my old cat reincarnated. The fur is thick on her head. When you give her a scratch the tops of your fingers disappear. She's young, her whiskers are black. She's petite, she's a girl, 21/2 years old. Guy and i immediately calculated that we could likely still have her on our 50th birthdays.

She lives under the bed for now, coming out for pets, or to tear the house apart while we sleep. This morning we awoke to dirt on the kitchen floor. She had some digging to do around 4am. The ficus tree was the perfect spot to do it. Guy is not even irritated at the mess. We are pleased at everything she does. At this moment, she is perfect and we are in love with her.

Introducing clementine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your precious little Clem. She sounds great!