Friday, January 25, 2008

Maxon Crumb, loon extraordinaire


there's little in the world as befuddling as the totally insane crumb brothers. it seems unusual that a whole family would be certifiable (unless you're from texas and love chainsaws). only middle brother robert crumb seems to have escaped the cold, evil blade of total insanity.

in this vein max crumb is unduly fascinating. he used to be out and about often, doing his weird, looney stuff. it's almost a right of passage as a san francisco resident, to witness max crumb out on the street. guy and i have both run into him, and tried not to stare. i saw him sitting on a bed of nails by a bus stop on market street. apparently he has recovered some mental health recently since making a friend who has helped him keep his bed of nails indoors, and eat sometimes.

none of this would be exceptional at all, especially given the area (6th street) that he lives in, except for the fact that he's such a gifted artist. all the crumb brothers are, but in my opinion max takes first prize. on any pop art fan's list of purchases should be a piece of max's art.



7 comments:

joe archibald said...

Hi there-
I agree on your Maxon artistic opinions...that's me and my wife that he's painting in the Chron article...
I visit him regularly, as I'm assembling a gallery showing for him in NYC ,w/Robert's help....
I do collect a bunch of his originals, as he influences my art....
If you wish to talk I'm joearch99@yahoo.com
Cheers-Joe

Anonymous said...

i just watched the ox chanl the story uv the crumb famly genious is soo fasinating this planit iz soo much rhitcher now

Anonymous said...

o yah mei balz itch

Anonymous said...

Charles Crumb was also very gifted. Too bad his complete mental breakdown came so early in his life. He could have turned out some great works.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on his talent. Just bought my first piece of his original art!

Anonymous said...

what gem didja buy?

Anonymous said...

I bought Sunrise of Picasso. It's an original rare piece in pencil.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53836550@N04/5830794499/
Take care.