Friday, January 25, 2008

This Just In: Beck, not a robot!



this came to me from one of my people out in the field:

"Beck sat in front of me on my last trip to NY on 1/12. I’m happy to report that he is SO VERY NICE. And, now I’m an even bigger fan! No one else recognized him and there were definitely some much younger and hipper looking people on the plane. He was very surprised I knew who he was (me with the suburban housewife thing going on!) – apparently he rarely gets recognized. He was traveling with a few of his entourage/band who were also very nice. I guess I was a little surprised because some of his music can be pretty weird and dark, although I do love it. I was afraid to say anything to him until the very end of the flight. A totally nice guy, and almost blushing when I told him I was a big fan of his music! I guess they’re all just people, just like us…"


the funny thing about this friend and what she says here, is that she is directly related to a famous rock star who played with beck during a tour several years ago. she didn't even think to tell him that they have someone in common. how funny that she, as much as anyone, can struggle to see the human-ness in the very famous/very talented while at the same time sees her relative as so human, she forgets he's very famous/very talented.

UPDATE: in further news my contact tells me that beck went out of his way to wish her "happy trails" in baggage claim after the flight. she said he seemed genuinely appreciative of her attention. she also tells me he had a short, sort of dorky haircut.

(picture above was taken one week before my friend ran into him. no wonder he wasn't recognized. nice new look! UPDATE: does new update make this a wig scenario?)

No comments: