Monday, June 26, 2006

Fear of Colloquialisms



i have been asked by my friends to describe why hearing californians or east coasters, say "Ya'll" jerks my nerves around under my skin. the answer isn't immediately clear.

i was born in louisiana and have family there and grew up with "Ya'll." to clarify: i grew up with "Ya'll" spoken in a southern accent. my guess is i'm feeling something insincere or faddish about a non-southerner saying "Ya'll." like it's cute or something. the non-southerners in my life who say "Ya'll" are most definitely NOT insincere people and yet somehow i can't shake this feeling that it's being used in a "cute" manner. my family uses/used it but it isn't/wasn't a fad, and hearing it used that way feels like a joke is being made, even if that's not the intention.

does anyone know what this brain dysfunction is called? speaking of which i also have a fear of teenagers. this is known as: Ephebiphobia.

No comments: