Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Artists' statements and the sudden desire to barf



there is almost nothing as annoying as a pretentious artist's statement. these are the little "ideas" some artists have about their "work" that is posted somewhere near the "work" in order to give, what, commoners? some grand idea of their genius. i have read very few cool artist's statements in my lifetime. they are typically something like this one i just picked up at Axis Cafe, SF. read it and laugh.

"the mind creates, the body permeates..."
"Exploring the abstract scenery of women as motifs enables me to portray the idea of my essence. (oh please) My work investigates the nuances of vibrations through the use of textures..."(kill me now)
"I do not paint the way I observe the world, but how I sense it in my mind, (oh, you're so sensitive) and how i recall events..."
(and the real genius here:)
"THINGS are always much more than they seem." (really? please tell us more.)

it's just TOO MUCH. so funny and ridiculous. i can't imagine what this person must be like to talk to in real life. i think if i ever have a show, i'm going to have an ad lib artist's statement. fill in [pretentious word/bullshit] here...

No comments: