Friday, May 12, 2006

radio-o-o-o

when i arrived at Pirate Cat there was a girl at the controls, "you're listening to pirate cat radio, blah blah phone number on the dial at blah blah." she played caustic ear-bleed live music from her collection and had a very individual "indie" look she was playing up. nothing obvious or trendy. a tight bun in her obviously thick long hair and a short pleated skirt made of very sturdy material, short ankle boots, wide at the opening with no socks. i found her intriguing but never ever could have guessed that the 30-something woman in the room with her was her MOM. when my friend told me this i said, HOW is that woman her MOM?! Uh, she's 15, that's how.

WHAT?!

Yeah, didn't you see her school uniform?
i thought it was just fashion, i told him.

her DJ name is Evil something-or-other. when she was finishing up she was shushing me, i was laughing in my usual loud laugh and she was bantering with my 36-year-old guy friend. she seemed strong, in control and intimidating at first but when she was done and i saw her backpack, her flat chest and her diminutive mom's arm around her, i finally saw it. she's a GIRL. amazing. and she DJs on a pirate station in the evenings.

she's the coolest 15-year-old ever!! what are her friends like? is she an outcast? the mind spins. what an unusual creature.

then we were up. we played our songs, we bantered a bit, i made fun of my friend (G) for his music choices, just like i am prone to do to his close friend, my GUY. they are pop boys. i am the anti-pop noise lover. we had some laughs and a lot of fun though. he's technical, thank god because all the buttons and coordination were really scary. i had to throw out props to my friend's band and that made me nervous because it involved another button to do so. but it worked out. we drank ketel one and smoked pot and i could smoke cigarettes inside, which did a lot to alleviate my stress.

two hours went quickly. i could've done it for four.

maybe i'll be back.

if (G) isn't fired first!!
(for being so pop!)

1 comment:

DC SPACE said...

Yeow... the girl is my daughter!

Check out her MySpace:
www.myspace.com/djpalindrome

Peace,

Squid