Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Christmas Special #2: Doing whippets with Doug Irwin



doug irwin was an artist who made jerry garcia's guitars for him. one day, back in 1993, when i worked at the legendary Psychedelic Shop, in walked doug irwin. i knew him from pictures, probably from reading High Times or Relix, two classic stoner mags. i said "hello, what beautiful guitars you've made," and introduced myself. he had come in to drop off some custom-made jewelry (of which i have a piece) and buy whippets. i don't remember the conversation, but before i knew it, he was behind the counter and we were inhaling whippets together.

it was another strange moment for me, smalltown girl, new in the big city. another strange moment for me, huge rock fan, unknowingly on the verge of meeting and talking to just about every rock musician who ever meant anything to me. it was a strange moment for me, doing whippets with the man partially responsible for the sound of the grateful dead. it's just one story of a hundred that have made every miserable moment of trying to survive in this city at the poverty level, totally worth it.


ps. it was upsetting when jerry died, and even though he left the guitars to doug, in his will, the other members of the band fought it and ended up with one of them. how could they? how dare they?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish Doug would look me up I'd like to have him build a guitar for me. 860 306 8080

lou jones said...

hi anonymous, if you don't respond to this, i might just give you a call. it just so happens i know someone connected with bob weir but they say they don't know how to contact doug. i'm sorry, i wish i could help both of you out.