Thursday, December 07, 2006

Martian talk for the fashion folk



check it out, i just got LAUGHED at for using the word "accoutrements" for an accessories billboard. i used it like this: "all the accoutrements for an amazing now." when i read it, people laughed and laughed!! i so didn't get that people were laughing AT ME, that i kept reading! i didn't realize something was up until my boss walked across the room and stood by me, literally, and said, "STOP laughing!"

so i stopped reading and this is what my audience of 8 people had to say: WHAT DID YOU SAY???!! now, granted 3 of the 8 speak english as a second language, although one of them is the design director and has been in the fashion industry for 20 years!!

these people were laughing because it was as if i had just said "gobblyey eh googy goo jah shagoo goo!" they weren't being mean-spirited, they really had no idea what word had just come out of my mouth. i'm not insulted, because they weren't laughing at me for being stupid. uh, sorry, no. they were laughing at me, without knowing it, for having...what? paid attention?

immediately, two girls apologized. one said, hey lou, i'm sorry, english is my second language, i just don't know that word. another girl said, hey, sorry, i have a terrible vocabulary.

i just stood there, stunned. the head designer sitting next to me said quietly, "i've always liked that word." i told her, "i thought it was common!" she said back, in a near-whisper, "it is."

who are these fashion people who don't know a fashion word? it's totally befuddling, i tell you! UNBELIEVABLE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I adore that word! Use it all the time! Sometimes I'll pronounce it:
ah-coooo-tray-monts, other times, ah-cooter-ments. Either way, it's a fun word. It should definately be a part of every day vocab.