Friday, December 22, 2006

Feeding the Louisiana jones




guy and i are about to embark on a little adventure. it's all about my weird family this time.

stop number one is an ugly desert town called carson city in nevada, where my stepdad moved my mom from a beautiful town in the napa valley, so that they could grow old in a very cold climate and remote location that their children would have trouble reaching at christmas. there guy will experience my stepdad at truly his finest. stepdad is always in a good mood on christmas, excercising his seldom seen sense of humor and relaxing for the first time all year. guy will see my mom in the way she really is: sentimental, fun, conscientious, into decorating with poinsettias just like his mom and happier than any other time, because one of her children has come to visit her in the godforsaken land of nevada.

then we'll leave for midstate-louisiana where my bio-dad and my second cousin live. these are the only people who make sense to me besides my grandparents who are dead. bio-dad has been a drunk for 45 years and has lived an exceptionally colorful life. he's on his 18th month of sobriety as of this very minute and is hilarious and entertaining when alcohol is not the dominate liquid in his bloodstream. we are very similar and guy gets to see this, a family member like me. the others (the step-family), while i love them, are not like me. this is huge for bio-dad as he has never, ever, in his entire life, had someone come visit him at christmas. he grew up without a dad, and with a violent mom who considered him a nusciance. bio-dad's brain is about to explode with joy. i too, am really happy about seeing him on christmas for the first time in my entire life.

after that we will travel back down south to new orleans, where we hope to dedicate one day to the katrina effort and three days to partying, shopping, filming, photographing and maybe exploring the bayou in a canoe.

dudes. we are so excited.

i'll be writing from the road as i will have guy's laptop to use. do they have cell service and wifi in midstate louisiana? this is a serious question, and seriously, the answer could be no.

we promise to hang out on the safe side of the levee*, but we cannot promise to stay away from bourbon street.

check you from the road in loozy.
xo


*ok, in new orleans, no one lived on the wrong side of the levee and they died anyway, but in vidalia, where bio-dad lives, people actually build their homes on the river side of the levee. seriously.



ps. my boss is the newest angel in my life. more on that later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well?? Can't wait to hear...