Monday, August 14, 2006

I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth...

i had a cut and polished ham bone instead.



my grandfather, a lapidarist among many things, made this for me as an infant. apparently i knawed on it quite a bit until my teeth were fully in. my mom presented it to me this weekend after my little sister got married. i held it tightly in my hand...feeling for the invisible...for time passed, for love infused, and i put my cheek to my mom's cheek and held it there, speechless.

she said, "i know, baby. i know."

i miss my grandfather very much. i haven't seen him since 2000, when he...went...elsewhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the most beautiful ham bone I've ever seen...and your Grandaddy was the most beautiful grandfather I've ever met. How I longed to have your life. *sigh*

lou jones said...

i'm glad you wrote "longed" in the past tense, m. everyone's life sucks in one way or another. i had the best grandparents ever, but it doesn't mean my life was better than other people's. i wouldn't wish what happened to me in my 20s on anyone.