Friday, August 11, 2006

Sex Offenders in Gaytown

i was walking to get my usual coffee this morning from the Honey/Sweetie Crew at Starbucks when a drunk guy and his friend, sitting on a stoop said to me, "hey can i ask you a question?" i usually ignore these situations/requests automatically. no thinking about it, just ignore, but something in his voice made me stop and look at his red, worn-out, used-up alcoholic face. his friend kept his head down and didn't look at me.

i stared at him and waited.

"hey, this question...is a little absurd..."

i stare and realize i have stopped and am now engaging in some kind of exchange with someone who is most likely insane and may not make sense.

"can you tell me what's under that skirt?"

my response was immediate, with no change of expression whatsoever. i just answered the question swiftly and suredly, "uh, two gorgeous legs." i said, and flashed him two fingers. i saw surprise on his face, then turned away and continued towards my iced venti mocha. the lilt in my voice indicated no offense, which was certianly his goal. the lilt in my voice just said, "duh, don't all people?" i was proud of myself for this. don't let the fuckers get you down, ya know?

there are sexual predators everywhere. even in the castro.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even crazy people make sense, though. After all, you could have been hiding a box of donuts, a bowl of kittens, or a bag of rainbows for all he knew. Two gorgeous legs that could rip open an oil drum with one flex of your rippled thigh muscles, though, was a good response. Impressive. Fast thinker!